Monday, August 16, 2004

Warning - Girl Complaining - Beware

What is the deal? 66 degrees and rainy. Summer, hey Summer, where the hell are you???? Sixty six is supposed to be the low temperature for the day - not the high. I had my heat on in my car today. They've predicted brighter weather for tomorrow - phew.

My son got his second grade teacher assignment last week. He got the one teacher I was hoping he wouldn't get. She's on one of the Committees I work for so I know her a little bit. She's kind of friendly but seems like she'd be dull in the classroom. And she doesn't have much nice to say about teaching while she's at these meetings that I attend. She's alot with the "I've been teaching for 452 years and kid's will destroy XYZ in no time flat". Things like that. Which brings me to a huge pet peeve of mine....

The principal at my son's elementary school posts the assignments the Friday before she leaves for vacation to give the parents time to get over any issues they might have with the school's choice. Apparently, the parents in this town have never been able to suck it up and accept the assignments. Which it would seem to me also teaches their kids no lesson about sucking it up. If you don't like it - COMPLAIN! and then you'll get your way kiddies. Our school works like this - if you request a teacher for any other reason then a special needs situation you will not get that teacher. Plain and simple. The point they're making is that they have confidence in the abilities of all of their staff, not just a few favorites.

I thought it that maybe I live in a spoiled brat town (which I kind of do but I digress) but apparently, not getting the kindegarten session you request is big news elsewhere. I just read a blog where the woman was complaining because her daughter got afternoons and had big plans for the mornings such as pedicures, doing errands alone and getting coffee. She did mention that she'd be available to volunteer then too because her baby will be in preschool in the am (I don't want to sell her short). Her daughter would also miss her dance class. All of the comments for this woman's post were sympathetic. Things like "you pay taxes - you should get to choose" and "why do they even have afternoons, no one wants it?" Brilliant. What about the parents who pay taxes and want afternoons?? How about those idiots? There is an entire legion of whiny, bratty moms out there raising whiny bratty kids. She may be nice and her kids maybe wonderful, but that school principal will remember her and I hope she sticks the baby into afternoons next year. Grrrrr.

No comments: