Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Oh the Guilt & Leg Warmers

Last year my son wanted to join the Cub Scouts, big dreams of hiking, archery, outdoor adventures sucked him right in. I was less than thrilled, they're pretty homophobic and then there's the duty to God thing. But he was interested and if either one of those issues came up (which I really doubted) then I'd deal with it and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Well I attended the informational meeting for parents and because NONE of the other parents there were interested I volunteered to be the leader for the Tiger Cubs. The parents come to all of the meetings at this age (and watch you while they drink they're Dunkin' Donuts coffee) so that effectively doubled my group size to 26. That's allota people. It went pretty well, a few of the mom's thought they could do better (they never said so, I just got that vibe) - but since they never volunteered - oh well.

Let me first say that kids today will blow you away with their rudeness. I heard that's dumb, this is boring, that's stupid from one, another one would make faces if you told him to stop talking during the closing or don't run and jump off the bleachers. I will remind you at this point that the parents are also present at these meetings and do literally nothing but watch you discipline their children. Some kids were just plain annoying but most of them were okay.

Now, the son wants to go to the next level and really wants me to be the leader. I SO don't want to commit to this. (The pack guy said one hour a week, LIAR!) I was told I could hand pick the kids in my group (which would have to be small because my house is teeny) so all of the jerky ones would fall in with some unsuspecting soul. But the work load for this year in scouts (Wolf) pretty much doubles and I've picked up some more hours at work starting this fall. And all of the parents expect me to come back and worst of all my son got his teacher assignment and 6 of the 13 boys from last year's den are in his class. At least one of which was classified earlier as annoying. How, out of seven second grade classes, did that happen?

I've started planning for the den meetings but then I got bummed out that these are every week and cripes that's alot. Plus the relief I felt when it ended in April was still feeling pretty fresh. I have no idea what to do. Do it (and possibly resent it?) or not do it (and possibly regret it)? I really had some good ideas and really boy scouty things planned for this year but Ida know.

Done with the guilt, on to the leg warmers

Well, we're off to buy some jeans for my son, which he will only wear when he works with his dad, when he goes fishing or when he goes to Maine. Never, ever to school. The horror. I bought him his first button down shirt to go with his first tie yesterday for the BIL wedding. I cannot find a darn thing for the daughter, all denim jumpers and plaid for back to school. GRRRR.

Just last month I was talking with a friend of mine and we were laughing at the clothes in the stores (ponchos, etc) how it was childhood revisited and I said the only thing missing is leg warmers. Well they are missing no longer. I saw them twice yesterday. Can nothing stay dead?

No comments: