Monday, January 03, 2005

A river in Egypt and also here in Massachusetts


When the girlie was a baby she was diagnosed with congenital esotropia and as a result had strabismus. All very fancy terms for eye muscles that were too strong and kind of attached in the wrong spots resulting in crossed eyes.

Much to our surprise this had NOTHING to do with eyesight so eyedrops, glasses and patches were not necessary. What was necessary was surgery, the day before her first birthday. They do some mojo with the eye muscles cutting and reattaching. Without it she would've eventually gone blind in one of her eyes, her brain would've just shut the weaker one off because of the mixed signals.

One of the bonuses of this esotropia business is the apparent need for more surgeries as each little issue arises. We were told of five possible operations with the first being the most major. We just found out what have suspected for awhile, that she'll need a second operation. Round two is March 23rd. She has some depth perception problems and I can tell she has trouble with her left eye - and to make matters even better her pediatrician and the eye doctor aren't sure how well her vision is in this crazy left eye. They probably won't be able to figure it out until after the surgery and it's lined up and seeing like it should. At least that's my parental mommy guess - but I'm calling the opthamologist tomorrow just to make sure I shouldn't be having her vision rechecked for glasses.

The surgeon exudes confidence. I don't really like her at all - she has that 'didn't I already tell you this? *sigh*' attitude. On the other hand, she's good with the daughter and she's a wiz in the operating room. That's a trade off I'm willing to make. I'll be blocking it out of my mind for the next two months because, well, because denial is what I do really well.
Posted by Hello

No comments: