Tuesday, November 09, 2004

What's next? The tooth fairy?

I have a question for all of you out there.....Santa. When to fess up?

Last year we were headed to my mother in laws for Christmas dinner and presents with them. My son (six at the time) while getting in the car, pipes up with

There's no such thing as Santa Claus.

I proceed to ask why he would think that and what does he believe (who fills the stockings, etc) about Santa, etc. Hoping that I'm keeping the panicked look in my eyes from showing through. He doesn't really say anything specific so I stomp that filthy lie right into the ground with a lot of

Honey, I believe in Santa. The stockings are filled, the cookies were eaten and it's Christmas, baby.

He didn't look convinced but he let it drop and never brought up the doubt again, in fact this year it has been nothing but Santa this and Santa that. Some of that was perpetuated by my stories of the Magical Good Behavior Snow Globe he can see them through and other explanations regarding the physics of flying reindeer.

I must say that I'm paralyzed with the fear of the second lie. Or do I bother? He's only seven and lord knows I don't want him to stop believing but do I keep on with the lie if he's really unconvinced?

Oh, the trials and tribulations of motherhood.

No comments: