Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Maybe someone from Canada can help me here but on my calendar and on hers I noticed a Canadian Thanksgiving. Is this just like the U.S. version with turkey, pilgrims and indians or is it something entirely different?

My mom, at fifty three years old, discovered today that she was allergic to amoxicillin. How? She has to take a mega dose (2000 milligrams) before she gets her teeth cleaned (she has mitrovalve prolapse and the plaque can travel through your blood stream and infect your heart) so, just as she's done for the past five years, she takes the dose.

First her hands and ears turned red, then her forearms, face, neck and body. Then her lips started swelling up. The dentist, in the midst of all this, says he has no benadryl but she should leave and get some immediately. (LEAVE?!?!) I was at work and completely unaware (no cell signal in my area) so she calls her boss who brings her to the pharmacy where the pharmacist says "GET TO A HOSPITAL -NOW!" She goes to the ER they shoot her with prednisone and some IV stuff and home she goes. She's on Benadryl and prednisone for the next week because apparently the one megadose stays in your system for that long. Holy Shit. Some serious harm could have been done today. I'm very thankful that it didn't.


No comments: