Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Kids

And so my neighbors are in the process of having their house rebuilt from the ground up. And I have become host to three kids that belong to one of the framers. Apparently, they had to come with their step dad to work. For reasons I have yet to ask.

They are exceedingly polite children. But the oldest boy was ready to grab my lunch out of my hand and made a comment about not eating since breakfast and there wasn't going to be any lunch, except for some crackers taken from the stepdad's lunch. I have little patience for parents like this but alot of patience for kids like these. Sandwiches and chips were served.

But too much fun is being had inside and they should be playing outside. The jackass that is the stepdad has not so much as introduced himself to me never mind coming over to check on them. The fifth grade boy is responsible for the other two, this much is clear. There is a girl, maybe second or third grade and another boy, who is maybe five.

As I type I'm getting curious about what they're doing on a job site instead of being in a classroom so I'm off to investigate....

**Update: The kids had a half day of school and because mom and dad were working and couldn't get them at the half day point they skipped. The dad ( a step dad to the oldest) came over at 1:00 p.m. to see what they were up to and to let them know that he was going to get lunch. Uh, hello Mr. ?? , leaving to get lunch? Not without these fine young 'uns. They pretty much hung out in the yard for the rest of the afternoon but I was thinking, who brings three kids to their work and doesn't even pack a coloring book? Or bring a baseball? Or let them go into a stranger's house and not even check on them for over an hour.... Christ I could've been making kid stew ala Hansel and Gretel.

No comments: