Thursday, September 23, 2004

They don't call it School Daze for nothing

The boy/school situation has been partially fixed. He's bringing home work that's just plain not up to his abilities - incompletes and things like that. He told me that he's totally unable to concentrate in class. Kids are talking, out of their seats, asking him for help, etc. And at home, phew, the non-stop attitude.

Well, I call his teacher and ask her how he's doing in the classroom. Apparently, he's A-Okay in class behavior wise. She says this is one of the quietest classes she's had in awhile. I'm not sure if that means it's actually quiet or just quieter than what she's used to. He participates, volunteers to help out, read aloud or whatever. She thinks he's just having trouble dealing with the change of teachers from 1st to 2nd grade and the new environment. She's been teaching for awhile and according to her this is a very common occurance, especially with boys. And the work, according to her, he just has to deal with it.

Poor kid. He gets really nervous when he's timed. Whether it's for a math test or racing to get into pajamas. And they time, like, every math test in that class. I'm cringing for him. I'm not entirely happy or unhappy with what she had to say. Part of me knows that he does have to deal with it. Nothing she's assigned is over his head. But still, he's my boy and I hate knowing that he's rushing, not working up to his potential (gag, I sound like such a crappy overacheiving parent here, so bear with me) and feeling overwhelmed and distracted in class. She says usually by the end of the first month they're feeling much more in their element but it might take the whole first quarter.

It's taking me this long to get back into the swing of things school-wise too. Balancing the homework with the play time and reading for fun vs. reading for school. Making lunch, remembering library books, sneakers on gym day, old clothes on art day, milk money, book orders, . Pathetic what I can find overwhelming, isn't it?

No comments: