Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Cry Me A River

Okay, so will I be on record as one of the meanest mothers who've ever walked the face of the earth.

The boy has a friend over for four hours, they play magnetix, game cube and snow wrestling. Good times. The friend leaves.

*whine*can I play with *S* now? (the neighbor kid, who at 16 is really one of the best teenagers I've ever met)

No hun, he had some chores to do and you've had a friend here all afternoon, find something else to do.

*whine*there is nothing to do and I'm going to sit here (on my lap) and complain until you tell me I can play with S.

Ah, legos, magnetix, yugioh. How 'bout those? Marbles? You could read.

*whine* THERE IS NOTHING TO DO. I HATE THIS HOUSE AND I WON'T STOP UNTIL I CAN SEE IF S CAN PLAY.

Up to your room, I've had enough.

Commence with the crying and screaming from the bedroom about how totally terrible we are and how there is NOTHING TO DO and his toys are boring.

15 minutes elaspes. More of the same. Repeated requests for quiet. Ignored.

Into the bedroom we go and we empty it of virtually every toy. The toy box, the bins, the lego sets. All moved out. Now, lest you think he has nothing, there are about 10 matchbox cars, marbles, books and a few games left.

It's called a breaking point kid. And you've reached mine. Now, don't worry I won't be listing these things on ebay but right now (I'd find the link of the dad that did just that, It's on American Blogger somewhere, but I'm not into doing it now) I'm making him write a list of ten toys he got for Christmas. He's halfway done.

And sure, the toys will find they're way back in ... slowly. And I know, this was drastic. But apparently I've raised a spoiled brat. I'm disappointed in myself. Maybe I'm taking my failings out on him, but this has been brewing for awhile. And quite frankly, maybe I was being obtuse, but it took me by surprise - the depth of his selfishness. Really, you should hear him. And still he's being fresh (although he just handed me the list).

April asked what things we really wanted for the new year I said organization and patience. Hah. Little did I know.

No comments: