Friday, December 16, 2005

the Show and Tell

One favorite ornament? Are these girls kidding? That's like asking me to pick my favorite child. Nah, that one's easy...the daughter. I. am. Kidding. But at least SHE doesn't call me names.

A week or so ago I found a piece of yarn on the floor. Near the tree, looking like it was part of something but as I was unable to figure it out...I just threw it out and chalked it up to one of the random mini-messes that seem to pop up endlessly around here. A few days ago I found this
and it all just fell into place. The damn dog has been eating the old dough ornaments off the tree. This little one, with the string and the hook was in the shape of a dog bone and had his name painted on it. It was eight year old dough. With shellac. The other yarn belonged to another old piece of dough in a shape I cannot recall. Neither were favorites but I didn't exactly want them eaten either.

Some ornaments remind me of favorite places and things we've seen while visiting them

Others of my childhood
I actually remember making this when I was a student at the Raggedy Ann & Andy Preschool. This is much less scary than the santa I posted last week, but I love them equally.

And these posted for comparison purposes because they make me laugh everytime I unwrap them:




My macaroni tree
2nd grade
Mrs. Buckley's class








My son's macaroni tree
Kindergarten







I could blame the appearance of my tree on age but sadly that is not the case. It doesn't look much worse, save for a few missing noodles, than it did the day I brought it home. My boy and I always kid each other because he is clearly the master macaroni tree maker.

There are more, more that I didn't photograph because once I started looking - really looking - I found many favorites. The ones I painted the year the son was born, the wedding gift handblown glass (including the pickle), the wooden covered bridge, the puzzle piece snowflake. So many that mean something, that represent part of our lives. Thank you Deb, for making me look a little harder.