Friday, July 14, 2006

A Big Pile O'Books

So yesterday I mentioned a little Borders craziness that overcame me this week. Sadly it's a recurring condition. I thought I was in remission but that damn "sale" caused a relapse.

These aren't all from one outing, my husband would cut up my driver's license and stop giving me gas money if they were.

Assination Vacation by Sarah Vowell - I heard the Partly Cloudy Patriot was a good read, but that wasn't on the list.

Pirate Hunter - The True Story of Captain Kidd by Richard Zacks - This has taken me FOREVER to read but it's good. Surprisingy good. And about Pirates. Plus I've put it down for two weeks to read other things and picked it back up and was still interested, so that's something.

Sex Lives of Cannibals by Maarten Troost - someone (bb?) recommended this and I figured, a travel book in summer? Absolutely.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - heard it was good, remains to be seen.

Faithful by Stephen King & Stewart O'Nan - Red Sox. 'Nuff said. Well, maybe not 'nuff... I consistently pick up the Surviving Grady book and read a week or so's worth of entries, especially when the sox are losing. It's all about keeping the faith. And laughing.

The Final Solution by Michael Chabon - I just finished Kavalier and Clay. And totally Loved. It. And now I want to devour everything he's written. yumm.

The Great Influenza by Jim Barry - love a good pandemic. A girl I know is gearing up for the bird flu. Seriously. She deserves her own post. Notice a said 'A girl I know' and not 'A friend of mine'. Big Difference.

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy - India. Sounds v. good, will probably wait until winter.

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk - totally horrified by the first 'story'. In a can't look away sort of way (Consider it a warning). But I did look away and picked up Kavalier and Clay in the process. I'm on the fence about Palahniuk, this book is his last chance.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke - The only one NOT from Borders. A winter read, for sure. Too heavy for the beach bag.

Oh, and because I'm a glutton for punishment I picked up Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult at the library yesterday. Her endings are a little too tidy in my opinion but she always tells a good story. Well, maybe not ALWAYS but mostly.


So. All the moms are going crazy, eh? At least I'm in good company.

No comments: