Thursday, September 27, 2007

Over the past year or so, on occasion, I will sometimes tease the boy about girls. Not in a mean spirited way, more like a 'she's kicking you for a reason' type of tease.

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm firmly in the no way do you need to be having a girlfriend at this age camp. But he always laughed and made gagging faces when I would say something about A. pulling his hair or K. begging him for math answers.

This year, he says (with no prompt from me) that there are girls. Girls with crushes. On him, my boy. He's giggling the entire time he's telling me that he's heard from his friends that there are some girls crushing on him. So I ask him if there's some one who might be the object of HIS affection and he just laughs. NO DENIAL, NO GAGGING SOUND.

I call him out on the lack of gagging and he says that there is a girl. He refused to dole out any more information except more giggling and that, my friends, was that.

The next day he mentions a girl, M., who sits between him and his friend and I raise my eyebrows and say "M??" - He catches on in a blink and laughs and says "No, not M." and starts with the giggling. I tell him I'm going to keep throwing a name out there every once in awhile, until I get it right. And so for the next few days, I do. And every time it's a denial and some laughter.

I worried that he'd get sick of the name throwing out thing so I asked him if it bothered him. He says to me that he doesn't mind if I tease him, that's it's fun. And then he snuggled up next to me to watch Survivorman.

I feel like it's not long now, until I lose him bit by bit...to friends, sports and even girls. What two, maybe three or four years? And I just want to hang on so tight to every minute I've got.

6 comments:

blackbird said...

Youngest called A GIRL on the way home from the hospital last week...

Jennifer said...

Yikes! Well at least you sound somewhat confident that you know how to handle the whole thing.

Connor's had his girlfriend since JK, and he says they will be married and will buy her a house, she says she doesn't want his last name and she'll be keeping hers. It thunderstorms and he wonders if her toys are okay cause he knows they keep them outside, he goes shopping and says. I want this for my E. Yes this has been going on since age 4. Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Oh my... I wasn't even thinking of that and now I am... eeekssssss......

Anonymous said...

The good news, I guess, is that I hear boys really start to act like jerks around then. Maybe it will be easier to let him go off and be with his friends if he's acting like an ass at home.

I hear that but I wonder anyway. My boy is such a sweetheart (as yours sounds like). The day he turns all jerky will shock the heck out of me.

Mig said...

You do that, hang on tight. Squeeze and enjoy!

:-)

Amy said...

oh, the same is happening at our house, too. Girls have always been gross, but now, now there is Lexi. I don't hear much, but I was told NOT to say anything to LM's new best friend, so I know that means that it's something. Sigh.

How much longer do we have them as our little boys? It feels like I just got him yesterday.