Friday, September 21, 2007

And tomorrow there's a sale at OUR town library

Not only is it the time of year for freshly picked apples, cozy fleece blankets and Sunday dinners cooked in that forgotten appliance...the oven, but it's also the time for thelocal semi-annual library book sales.

A dollar for hardcovers and fifty cents for paperbacks.

Who could resist?

Here's the goods:

A Civil Action by Jonathan Harr - Nonfiction, Takes Place in Boston, plus it won a prestigious award....-
Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter - Older book, sounded good - I picked it up as I was walking out, at that point what was one more?
Gap Creek by Robert Morgan - I bought this in spite of the Oprah stamp on the front.
Crooked Little Heart by Anne Lamott - Don't think I've read anything by her, now's as good a time as any.
The Alibi Man by Tami Hoag - gratuitous junk read
The Hornet's Nest by Jimmy Carter - I love listening to Jimmy Carter talk, maybe this'll be half as nice.
Blow by Bruce Porter - I think this might have been a movie (Johnny Depp?). Regardless, I didn't see the movie but it looks fairly interesting and again with the local ties - this time Cape Cod.
Greenwitch & Silver on the Tree both by Susan Cooper - I started reading The Dark is Rising and was totally liking it but I was sidetracked by something else. It was a library book so I figured it'd be safer if I just bought my own copies of the series.
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie - I don't think I've ever read this, thought it might be good to read aloud to the kids. Although the boy would rather not I might try to sucker him in.
Night by Elie Wiesel-This got a lot of press from the Oprah thing and again, I'm reading it in spite of her recommendation. I saw him being interviewed and this book has been hanging around in the back of my mind ever since.
Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz - Hey, winter in New England is long...don't judge.
Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All by Allan Gurganus - I've never heard of this book or this author but for fifty cents the worst that can happen is that it ends up on the book table at the transfer station.

Plus seven easy readers and a very cool nursery rhyme book (with pictures I remember from MY old nursery rhyme book) for the girl and three owl books, a book about Unexplained Mysteries and one about Abraham Lincoln for the boy.

$14.25.

Not a bad deal at all.

2 comments:

Mig said...

I am SO jealous. Heh.

Amy said...

you and I are so much alike. I HATE buying books with Oprah's little stamp on them. (I really got mad when stores went from just a sticker to actually publishing the stamp...ugh, unremovable stupid little thing...)

Somehow Gap Creek sticks in my mind, but I don't think I've read it. I wonder if it's on my table waiting to be read or something...

I, too, am envious. Even though I haven't taken the time to read a book in two months...

sigh.