Monday, August 22, 2005

What I did during Summer Vacation

Day One:
Okay, so I only work two days a week. Still, this week that I took off is shaping up just fine.
We were going to go camping on the Cape for the week but I've said "enough" to the camping and am instead adventuring around with the kids.

Today took us to Newport, Rhode Island. Seriously, I can't get enough of this area. Sadly about one gazillion vacationers feel the same way and they clog the streets. Much like I do, so I guess I'll shut up about that. I've only been to Newport once or twice in the past five years and I didn't know where any of the beaches were so today we went exploring. We stopped at the first beach we saw conveniently known as First Beach.

The kids boogie boarded until they were chafed. And covered in this nasty ass seaweed known as Mermaid's Hair. It's red. And did I mention nasty? The waves weren't very big but my kids are used to beaches with ripples so it was like a ...well, I'd use the word tsunami but I'm not sure if it's okay to use that word lightly anymore, what with this being an annoyingly PC world and all. ehem. It was good fun. Plus now we have alot of empty smelly crab shells for their 'collections'.





After First Beach we drove up Ocean Drive past all of the mansions to this little tiny beach with no name. Maybe it has a name and we missed it but there's only room for like 10 cars and it's FREE (a rare thing indeed here in New England) and it's a sea glass haven at low tide. We picked and poked through the rocks for the glass and then we picked and poked at hermit crabs and periwinkles and such in the tide pools on the rocks. The kids played hide and go seek at Breton Point State Park, right next door and I layed (laid? whatever.) on the grass to watch the kites.



We heard that Second Beach is a much better beach than First so we decided that we'd be remiss not to at least find it for next time. And once we found it? More boogie boarding. And less red, crappy seaweed. We stayed until sunset. In keeping with the Newport theme we stopped here for dinner, which my son deemed "much better than Friendly's". The highest praise from an eight year old. We are sandy and salty and my kids are sleeping with Mermaid's hair mixed in with theirs.




Tomorrow? The Brand Spanking New Library in town opens and we'll be there for the ribbon cutting. You can almost taste the excitement can't you?

No comments: