Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Goodbye Fantasy Grandpa

I have to say I'm saddened by the passing of the pope. When I was a girl I thought he was the cutest little old man and wished he were my Grampy. What did I care that there was not really any way for him to actually be my long, lost grandfather, (when both of my grandfathers were present and accounted for) I was seven? I remember thinking he had a kind smile and he probably gave great hugs.

I was raised as a Catholic but as the church wouldn't let me get confirmed (we didn't attend mass regularly, which my mother told the priest and then he proceeded to call us hypocrites - better to have lied to a man of the cloth like all of our friends, I guess) I was excused from all things church. I spent many a morning thanking my lucky stars. My dad was probably heartbroken, he loved churchy stuff. I wish I could talk to him about things like this...


I'll not be espousing my present belief system here because well, there isn't any way to defend the Church of Belichick (Sunday worship at 1:00 and 4:00/occasional Monday and Thursday evenings too and summers off -woohoo!) to you heathens.

I found this interesting though, possible candidates for the next pope...

No comments: