Monday, April 11, 2005

And then there was one....

Only one of the nineteen fish babies are left. Poor fellas.

On the other hand the other two fish and the crab are feeling like they just finished Thanksgiving Dinner.

Birthday party preparations for the son are in full swing. Well, make that half swing.

This is how I make myself crazy.... Example : The party is Saturday, my book club meets Friday. Under normal circumstances I would ditch any and all work/responsibilities to attend. Not this time. I didn't enjoy the book. At all. Not because it wasn't the type of book I usually read, that would be something else entirely and totally acceptable. Suffice it to say that it was lacking. And instead of going and making sweet small talk with the author about how I just loved the blankety, blank, blank (fill in your own blanks I can't even pretend to think of a thing I loved) I will purposely leave birthday party things to be done until Friday night so I do not have to lie to the hostess/author while eating her snacks. "Oh sorry, I can't make it...have this party to prepare for."

Did I mention I ran into her at the post office and instead of just saying hello and omitting any book talk I use my totally superior social skills to drive my foot squarely in my mouth. I actually said "I just finished your book." "Really???" she says. (What I'm thinking here is something along these lines: "oh shit, shit, shit. the book. what the fuck. I BROUGHT UP THE BOOK. why can't i just say hi and some other generic pleasantry? why am I so damn retarded?????" - note to reader: skip the retard political correctness comments please) And then I lie. "Oh yeah, I really enjoyed it - I'm hoping I can make it next Friday, I'll give you a call."

So now, I will hold off on goodie bag making until the last minute. Because one lie is better than two???

And on a side note I really don't want to hurt this woman's feelings. She wrote a book and even though I didn't enjoy it I have to give her credit for writing it and then boldly asking our book club to read it. Etiquette question: What would you do?

No comments: