Wednesday, August 16, 2006

In which Jenny bitches and moans and go on and click the red x if you're looking for something sunshiney

the camping trip:
An idea, broached by the husband whose actual words were something like: "What, doya want to sit around and do nothing all next weekend too?" I murmur something about being okay with that (because sitting around doing nothing generally evolves into something unplanned and good timeish). He says "well then I'll take the kids camping, you can stay home".

and here is where i should've shut my trap and went upstairs to ponder my good fortune.

Instead I say that I'll take the kids down midweek so that we can get a few extra days in. Good weather's in the forecast and whathaveyou, I've done the solo camping thing before - it's fine.

Well, the weather cooperated but the kids did not.

Children, however, seem to forgive and forget quicker than quick. Argue over a colored pencil? A flashlight? A juice bag? A bike ride? (and oh, if it were only these four things life would've been so good) Done and over. No grudge holding here. At least where they're concerned. I, on the other hand, am exhausted by the cumulative bickerfest and sighing. The neverending sighs.
"Can you stand your bike up next to the tree instead of lying it down?" Sigh.

"Can you walk your sister to the bathroom?" Sigh.

"Can you bring me your flashlite so I can change the batteries?" Sigh.


My god children, I'm not asking you to handwash the clothes, milk the cows and 'till the fields.

Yesterday and today haven't been much better. In fact, as a result, we missed their dad's last hockey game, have taken away the t.v. and all visits with friends.

So who's really punished? me.

Did I mention the fact that my husband VOLUNTEERED to work this past Saturday? While I was on the big 'his idea' camping trip? errrgh. It was only a few hours and he was pretty sheepish about it, I acted way more put out then I actually was. In order to maximize the guilt a bit - he knew the kids were being cretins. So I let him bike ride the canal while I sat and read in the breezy sunshine. He had to tow my daughter for the last mile. Revenge is sweet.

Tomorrow, punishments be damned. We're heading to the beach for some solar therapy.

No comments: